Nothing spells summertime like fresh ketchup. The perfect condiment for nearly any BBQ you are having. Ditch the store-bought stuff for this simple to make, low-carb, sugar-free ketchup recipe. All you need is 15-minutes and your favorite countertop aid: the Instant Pot.
- 3 lb plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup mushrooms diced about 2 mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp powdered sweetener more or less to taste
- 1/4 cups white vinegar
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters and dice the mushrooms.
- Place the tomatoes, mushrooms, and remaining ingredients into the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and turn the pressure valve to seal. Cook the ketchup on high pressure using the “manual” or “pressure cook” setting for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Remove the lid and pour the contents of the Instant Pot into a blender, or use an immersion blender. Blend the ketchup until smooth.
- Pour the ketchup back into the Instant Pot. Bring to a simmer using the saute function. Allow the ketchup to simmer for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally until the ketchup thickens.
- Store the ketchup in a sterile airtight container for up to 4 weeks. Be sure to allow the ketchup to cool room temperature before adding the lid to the container.
Dr. Jay Goodbinder ND DC DABCI is a doctor in Overland Park, KS who serves patients in surrounding Kansas City areas, cities across the United States, and in several countries around the world.