Mix it up with a french onion chicken dinner recipe that is sure to wow your family’s taste buds. Made in a cast-iron skillet, this meal is one that you’re going to be passing along to friends all year long. Perfect for any dinner setting, this paleo recipe is sure to be a staple in your cookbook.
1 cup cashews soaked in hot water for 2 hours, then drained
3/4 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup warm water or almond milk
2 yellow onions (thinly sliced)
3 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp ghee or refined coconut oil divided
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 tsp Italian seasoning blend OR 1/4 teaspoon dried basil + 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme + 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs or breasts – pounded to 1/2” thickness
2 Tbsp tapioca flour
1 1/4 cups beef bone broth
Cashew Cheese see above
Fresh thyme or parsley for topping
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender (I used a smaller one – Nutribullet) and blend/pulse until very creamy. You will need to stop blending to scrape down the sides and incorporate all the cashews. Once done, set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat your oven to 375° F. In a large ovenproof skillet, over medium heat, melt the ghee or coconut oil. Add the onions and saute onions 3-4 minutes until translucent then sprinkle with salt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally so the onions don’t burn, for about 15 minutes longer until browned and very tender. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- While onions are cooking, prepare the chicken by seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and Italian herbs. Once onions have finished cooking and are removed from the pan, raise the heat to medium-high and add the additional ghee. Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side (don’t clean out the pan between the onions and chicken) until browned on both sides. (Chicken may not be fully cooked through)
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm and return the onions to the pan. Sprinkle tapioca flour over the onions and stir for 1 minute over medium heat. Add beef broth and continue to cook, stirring throughout, until the mixture comes to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Return chicken to the pan and spoon some of the sauce over each piece of chicken.
- Top the chicken with the cashew cheese and transfer the skillet to the preheated oven. Bake for about 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through completely.
- Spoon some of the onions and gravy over the top of the chicken, garnish with thyme and/or parsley, and serve right away.
Are you ready to restore your life?
Dr. Jay Goodbinder ND DC DABCI is a doctor in Kansas City, MO who serves patients in the surrounding Kansas City areas, cities across the United States, and in several countries around the world.