This recipe for paleo friendly butter chicken, also known as murgh makhani, is a great way to satisfy your Indian food craving without any of the guilt. Use this recipe to introduce your family to butter chicken, the paleo lifestyle, or healthy eating habits in general. This concoction is so good it’s almost indistinguishable from its high sodium, high caloric, non-paleo counterpart.
Healthy Paleo Butter Chicken Ingredients
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 to 2 pinches of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 400 ml can coconut cream
- 700 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces coriander leaves, to serve
Healthy Paleo Butter Chicken Directions
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes until translucent.
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in the garlic and spices. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the salt, lemon juice, coconut cream and mix well.
- Turn the heat up to medium and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and stir until well coated with the sauce.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve with rice.
Are you ready to restore your life?
Dr. Jay Goodbinder ND DC DABCI is a doctor in Kansas City, MO who serves patients in the surrounding Kansas City areas, cities across the United States, and in several countries around the world.