This grain-free, dairy-free grilled steak taco recipe is going to make you want to change Taco Tuesday to every night of the week. Packed with red meat protein, fresh avocado, and red onion, these tacos are simple in design but loaded with flavor.
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak or skirt steak
- Grated zest of one lime
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice 2-3 limes
- 3 Tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Olive oil or avocado oil for the grill or skillet
- 8 Cassava Flour Tortillas or other grain-free tortillas
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 large avocado diced (wait until just before serving)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Additional optional toppings fresh salsa, dairy-free queso, or dairy-free sour cream
- Place the steak in a large shallow bowl. Whisk together the lime zest and juice, oil, coconut amounts, and spices and pour over the steak.
- Turn the steak a couple of times, with tongs, to fully coat, then sprinkle both sides generously with sea salt and black pepper.
- Allow the steak to marinate for about 30 minutes at room temperature, OR cover and refrigerate for an hour or longer.
- Preheat your grill, grill pan, or cast-iron skillet to medium-high heat and brush with oil. Once sizzling hot, add the steak (lightly shake off excess marinade, leaving some on) and cook to desired doneness, about 10-12 minutes total depending on the thickness of your cut of steak.
- Transfer the cooked steak to a cutting board, cover lightly with foil to keep warm, and allow it to sit while you heat your tortillas.
- Brush your grill or skillet with more oil and heat your tortillas for 30-45 seconds on each side, or until softened. Lay the tortillas on a platter or individual plates. Thinly slice the steak and arrange it over the tortillas followed by the avocado, onions, cilantro, and any additional toppings you choose.
- Serve right away, with lime wedges, and enjoy!
Dr. Jay Goodbinder ND DC DABCI is a doctor in Kansas City, MO who serves patients in the surrounding Kansas City areas, cities across the United States, and in several countries around the world.