This low-calorie paleo diet recipe is both versatile and delicious. Filled with rich vegetables, this cauliflower rice skillet is tasty as a main course or side dish, and pairs well as a breakfast, lunch, or dinner meal.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 heaping cup (about 4oz) sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (10-12oz) bag cauliflower rice (see notes to make your own or if using frozen)
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2–3 Roma or small tomatoes, diced
- 1/3–1/2 cup vegetable broth (can sub whatever broth you like)
- 2 heaping cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 3–4 Tbsp minced sun-dried tomatoes (I like the olive oil-packed ones)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium or large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and sliced mushrooms. Sauce about 5-6 minutes, or until onion is translucent and mushrooms are starting to brown. (Most of the liquid should be evaporated).
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add cauliflower rice, zucchini, and diced tomato. Add 1/3 cup broth.
- Cook over medium heat to evaporate the broth and cook the veggies. This should take about 5-6 minutes. If needed, add a little more broth to the pan to keep cooking. (You should only have about 1-2 Tbsp liquid in the bottom of the pan at this point).
- Add spinach and sun-dried tomatoes and cook about 3-4 minutes to wilt the spinach.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve warm with your favorite proteins or healthy fats!
Dr. Jay Goodbinder ND DC DABCI is a doctor in Overland Park, KS who serves patients in surrounding Kansas City areas, cities across the United States, and in several countries around the world.