Eating Paleo is a great way to combat inflammation and improve gut health. This butter chicken is specifically designed to give you that tasty, Indian flavor without all of the unhealthy parts. Cook this meal to the whole family as a way of introducing more paleo friendly and Indian food into your regular meal rotation.
Paleo Butter Chicken Ingredients
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 to 2 pinches of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 400 ml can coconut cream
- 700 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces coriander leaves, to serve
- Cauliflower Rice (see recipe), to serve
Paleo Butter Chicken Directions
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes until translucent.
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in the garlic and spices. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the salt, lemon juice, coconut cream and mix well.
- Turn the heat up to medium and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and stir until well coated with the sauce.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve with the cauliflower rice.
Jay Goodbinder DC DABCI is a doctor in Overland Park, KS who serves patients in surrounding Kansas City areas, cities across the United States, and in several countries around the world.