Prep time: 30 minutes, Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 3 to 5
- 6 to 8 large napa cabbage leaves
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, palm oil, or leaf lard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ground pork, chicken, or beef
- 1/4 cup finely grated carrots
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup finely sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (*optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch the cabbage leaves to make them easy to fold. Drain and thoroughly dry the leaves and set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil in a wok or pan on stove top over medium-high heat, add the garlic, and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add in meat to brown.
- Add the carrots, shredded cabbage, and mushrooms to the meat and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut aminos, fish sauce, and black pepper to the meat and vegetable mixture.
- Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of the mixture into the middle of each cabbage leaf.
- Cut off the thick white stem at the bottom of the leaf, fold each side of the leaf over the filling, and roll until the stuffing is concealed.
- Cut the rolls in half and serve.