- 8 oz Swiss chard or spinach, washed and ribs removed if using chard and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1-2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Heirloom or other tomato, sliced
- 4 Large eggs, poached or over medium
- 2 tsp. Vinegar, optional
- ½ tsp Salt
Ingredients for Hollandaise sauce:
- 3 Large egg yolks
- 4 oz. Coconut oil, melted
- 1-3 Tbsp. Lemon juice, optional
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne, optional
- Salt to taste
Alternative Avacado Sauce:
- 1 Medium avocado, peeled and seed removed
- ¼ Lemon juice
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/3 Cup olive oil or water
- Salt to taste
- Puree avocado, lemon juice and garlic powder in food processor until smooth. Add olive oil or water until a thick pourable consistency is reached.
Optional Add ons:
- Beef or lamb bacon, sautéed onions and mushrooms, sliced avocado, asparagus, Portobello mushroom cap, artichoke hearts, chives, green onion, paprika, chopped fresh herbs etc.
- Add yolks to blender and place the lid on top but remove the center piece. With the motor running on low, slowly add the coconut oil. Increase the speed and pour in the lemon juice, salt and cayenne, if using. Turn the blender off and scrape down the sides. Turn the blender back on the highest speed for 1 more minute. Turn off the blender and replace the center piece to the top of the lid. Let the sauce sit in the blender while you finish the rest of the dish.
- Preheat pan to medium heat. Add a Tbsp of coconut oil and then add the washed chard or spinach for a few minutes. Once slightly wilted, add garlic and salt and pepper to taste and continue to cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Fill a medium-large frying pan with ¾ full of water and add 2 tsp of vinegar and ½ tsp salt. Turn the heat to medium high until it begins to simmer slowly, then turn it down to medium. Crack the eggs one at a time and gently place them in the just barely simmering water. Watch the heat and do not let the water boil or the eggs may become separated. Cook the eggs 1 minute, using a spatula gently scrape the eggs off the bottom of the pan to help it float better. Poach the eggs for another minute and gently roll over with a slotted spoon. Continue poaching for another 2 minutes. Remove the egg from the water and place on a paper towel to drain.
- To assemble, place each of the 4 sliced tomatoes on the bottom of a plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Divide the swiss chard mixture among the four plates over the tomatoes. Then add the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Finally, add the hollandaise sauce and any garnish or add ons.